Sunday, November 1, 2009

Week Four

This weeks theme is Eyes and the vocabulary word is iris. I got the picture from an article on Discover Magazine about the genetics of eye color. The vocabulary word spot on our poster is blank because I put it with the image of the eye.

We started the week off slow, there was a lot of wind last weekend, so for Monday and Tuesday Jasmine and I were sneezing a lot.

Monday: We went over the letter "D" and did a capital "D" worksheet from School Express found here. I also printed the lowercase "d," but we did not go over it.

Tuesday: Jasmine colored the diamond from last week with blue glitter. I defrosted some frozen blueberries, I couldn't find any fresh ones. I hung up our blue window cling.


And our blue ice cream scoop.


Wednesday: was the letter "D" craft. Jasmine made an Duck C using the letter "D" and some feathers from No Time For Flash Cards.


We also colored a "D" worksheet that had an upper and lower case "d" with pictures of things that started with "D" from Mommy Nature.com. Here is the worksheet.

Thursday: was number four. We added another fish to the fish bowl. We got ready for Halloween by making a ghost found on The Artful Crafter here. Instead of a CD we used a paper plate and I let Jasmine paint one side white.


Friday: the nursery rhyme for Friday was Lavender's Blue. I got the full rhyme from Wikipedia. I didn't save where I got the image of the lavender from, but a easy search on Google Images will bring something usable up.

Friday was also Halloween Day for us. Nevada Day is also October 31st, but is celebrated on the last Saturday of October, which happened to be Halloween this year. We went trick-or-treating, Jasmine was a pirate. Saturday we went and watched the Nevada Day parade downtown.

Here is a view of our Learning Poster.


For November we have lots of leaves on our calendar.


What we are currently reading:
Jasmine's selection: The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle


I got this for Jasmine after we did the "C" caterpillar from last week and she seems to really enjoy the book.

My selection: The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home by Susan Wise Bauer


I borrowed this from the library and have only just started reading it, so I don't have an opinion on it yet.

1 comment:

jugglingpaynes said...

Just so you don't feel overwhelmed when you read it, I know many who use ideas from Well-Trained Mind, but no one who follows it completely. For myself, I like the logical way history and science are presented. We've used it since my oldest was a first grader. She is now an 11th grader and she has a better grasp of history than I had when I graduated from college.

Peace and Laughter,
Cristina

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...